Adjunct Instructor (Face to Face/On-line/Hybrid)
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for Adjunct Instructors in a variety of areas. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Reporting ultimately to the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs (VCAA), the Adjunct Instructor is responsible for employing a range of suitable strategies to foster student learning, stimulate online discussions and encourage active learning in all face-to-face, online and hybrid environments. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to relate well to a diverse population of learners.
Specific duties are:
- Contact each online student and welcome them to the course
- Monitor all students progress to ensure they stay on track and contact students for incomplete work
- Provide motivating, timely, and constructive feedback for student assignments
- Grades assigned for papers, quizzes and exams within 48 hours
- Ensures that mid-term and final grades are posted within five days or according to university deadline
- Communicates with students within 48 hours, preferably within 24 hours, of initial student contact
- Develops and/or Updates course syllabus and ensures that it meets department and college standards
- Advises students on how to be successful in the course
- Stays abreast of innovations and changes within the area of study
- Holds virtual office hours/regular available time for students
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree or higher or equivalent certifications in related field from a regionally accredited institution in the areas of Allied Health, Accounting, Aerospace Technology, Art, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Information Systems, Communications, Computer Science, English, Music, Spanish, Speech, Dental Hygiene, Economics, College Success, History, Health Information Technology, Mathematics, Nursing, Early Childhood Education, Criminal Justice, Political Science, Radiologic Technology, Phlebotomy, Psychology, and Sociology.
- Minimum requirement: Eighteen (18) graduate hours in the respective discipline
- Successful teaching experience in lecture based environments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Willingness to work in an accelerated and traditional learning format
- Access to a personal computer
- Other requirements set forth by SUSLA
Same as above and including:
- Successful teaching experience in hybrid and/or online environments
- Successful completion of the SUSLA Online Facilitator Training course
Salary Range$1,650 - $2,000 per 3 credit hours, based on discipline
Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: Adjunct Instructor (Face to Face/On-line/Hybrid) Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.