Review of applications will begin Tuesday, December 4, 2018, and will continue until position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Educational Advisor. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Educational Advisor is responsible for developing and implementing participant educational plans. This includes coordinating all aspects of the Educational Advisor role and working collectively with other related partnership programs as needed.
Specific duties are:
This position assists in the evaluating, planning and coordinating of participant plans.
- Develop and implement participant education plans
- Provide information on continuing secondary and postsecondary education programs; financial aid and college admissions programs
- Conduct workshops at assigned school monthly
- Compile documentation of counseling services and other program activities
- Submit weekly itineraries, and accountability reports
- Travel required; must be willing to drive university leased vehicles
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Must have a Master’s degree in Guidance and Counseling, Education or related field from an accredited university
- Specific knowledge or experience in career counseling or educational assistance programs such as postsecondary financial aid or admissions
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate knowledge and understanding of ethics in data collection and analysis
- Strong attention to detail is essential
- Work experience in TRiO programs
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.