Review of applications begins Wednesday February 13, 2019 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Nursing Instructor position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Nursing faculty have the responsibility of implementing the nursing program and student learning outcomes. Faculty assist the Director of the nursing programs in the development, revision, and implantation of the curricula which is grounded in evidence based practice.
Faculty provide classroom teaching, supervise students in the laboratory and clinical settings, and administer standardized testing. The advisement of students, as well as mentorship throughout the matriculation process are also the responsibility of faculty.
- Provide appropriate student supervision in the assigned didactic and laboratory/clinical areas.
- Effectively deliver curricular content.
- Model team enhancing behaviors.
- Participate on unit’s standing committees and Nurse Faculty Organization.
- Serve as a role model for students in professional interaction with faculty, health care team members, and with clinical facilities.
- Promote positive and productive relationships in the unit, among faculty, and with area health care facilities.
- Assist in scheduling and confirmation of use of clinical sites.
- Participate in curricular development, revision, and change.
- Develop course examinations.
- Improve teaching skills by seeking new knowledge and maintaining currency in professional competencies.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN); Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Louisiana
- 5+ years clinical experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Basic Life Support Certification
- 2 years of teaching experience in an academic or health care setting.
(This is a 9 month position)
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.