Degree Type: Associate Degree
The Respiratory Therapy Program is designed so students can complete the professional courses within 2-year period.
Graduates of this program are eligible to take the entry-level examination and upon successful completion of the entry-level exam are eligible to take the advanced level examinations administered by the National Board for Respiratory Care Inc. Successful completion of the entry level exam will award the student with the CRT (Certified Respiratory Therapist) credential which is required before permanent state licensure can be issued.
The Respiratory Therapy program utilizes a competitive admission process to select students. Prospective students may obtain applications during the spring semester. The Respiratory Therapy Program admits students once per year at the beginning of the fall semester. Students wishing to apply for admission to the Respiratory Therapist program must:
- Meet the general admissions criteria of the University;
- Successfully complete at least twelve (12) semester hours of coursework at Southern University at Shreveport;
- Complete an application for admission to the Respiratory Therapy program;
- Complete the Respiratory Therapy program orientation
- Complete the HESI Program Admission Exam ( cost $30.00)
- Submit official transcript from all colleges/universities attended
- Complete an interview with the Program?s interview committee
- Achieve a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 in the prerequisite courses and an overall 2.5 grade point average;
- Successful completion (“C” average or better) of the prerequisite courses
Please click here for your Clinical Application Packet.
Respiratory Therapy Program, (CoARC# 200343)
Associated of Applied Science Degree
610 Texas Street
Shreveport, LA 71101
This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care(CoARC)(www.coarc.com)
The program has been placed on Probationary Accreditation as of November 12, 2016.
Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care
1248 Harwood Road
Bedford, Texas 76021-4211
Please see your advisor or University Catalog for more information.